Forest Railway· Stations Along the Line

The Five-Tenths Train

Ten Stations · A Century of the Luodong Forest Railway

The Luodong Forest Railway is a century-old imprint of modern forestry and everyday life in Yilan. Because of the terrain, Taipingshan's timber-hauling railway was split into a 'mountain line' and a 'lowland line' — and the lowland line, running straight across the Lanyang plain, is the Luodong Forest Railway.

Its track gauge is only 762 millimetres; the carriages are narrow and its power roughly half that of an ordinary train — which is why the people of Yilan fondly call it the 'Five-Tenths Train.' The full line opened in 1924, carrying Taipingshan's hinoki cypress down the mountain station by station, and pushing Luodong to become the commercial and industrial heart of the Lanyang plain.

Later, as roads spread and storms washed away bridges and track bed, the trains stopped running in August 1979. The old line was handed over piece by piece to the Sanxing Township Office and opened as local roads — and today you can still drive or cycle it, stopping at each station in turn, and walk once more through half a century of the forest railway's heyday.

The Railway in Numbers

36.95 km
Length of the lowland line · Tuchang to Zhulin
762 mm
Track gauge · nicknamed the 'Five-Tenths Train'
10 stations
Stations along the line · Zhulin to Tuchang
77 bridges
Built of hinoki cypress
7 tunnels
Hand-bored and unlined
55 years
Opened 1924 → closed 1979

Stations Along the Line

The Ten Stations

From Zhulin to Tuchang, station by station along the lowland line.

Section One · Zhulin–Waiziwai

1924 · the Donation Line

The 'donation line' (kifu, Japanese for a charitable gift), championed by Chen Chunjing, then head of Luodong Street, was completed in 1924 and set off decades of prosperity for Luodong.

  1. Within Luodong Forestry Culture Park, Zhongzheng North Road, Luodong, Yilan County

    Zhulin1924–1979

    The starting terminus of the Luodong Forest Railway is tucked inside today's Luodong Forestry Culture Park. The tracks, a locomotive, the washing platform, the log pond, the log-unloading dock, even the old staff dormitories are all preserved intact — a forest-railway site you can walk right into.

    frankCC BY-SA 3.0
  2. Beside the Waiziwai Bridge, Ren'ai Road Section 3, Luodong, Yilan County

    Waiziwai1921–1945

    In the early years, the dividing point between hauling timber and hauling sugarcane. After 1945 the station was torn down and the site turned to farmland, while the old railway became Ren'ai Road; the Waiziwai Bridge over the Luodong River was swapped from a raised hinoki-cypress trestle for one of concrete. In the Kavalan language, 'Waiziwai' means 'rattan.' By legend, the people of the Waiziwai (Kavalan) community put to sea in boats all woven from rattan. The place was also known as 'Fanshetou,' an old name meaning an Indigenous settlement; as Han settlers moved in to cultivate the land, most of the community moved away, and so the place came to be called 'Waiziwai.'

    莊文生、林冠旻/宜蘭縣政府文化局CC BY 3.0 TW

Section Two · Waiziwai–Tiansongpi

Leased from the Tainan Sugar railway

This section was leased from the railway of the Tainan Sugar Company, so six trains a day carried sugarcane, threading slowly through the cane fields.

  1. No. 78, Dazhou Road, Dazhou Village, Sanxing Township, Yilan County

    Dazhou1924–1979

    Under contract with the sugar mill, the Dazhou area once grew the densest sugarcane of all. The whistle sounding across the cane fields as the train rolled slowly by is a memory shared by the older generation of Dazhou.

    lienyuan leeCC BY 3.0
  2. Beside County Route 196, Wanfu Village, Sanxing Township, Yilan County

    Erwanwu1924–1979

    Renamed 'Wanfu' Station after the war, its building rebuilt several times over, it still keeps a track-gang house and staff dormitories nearby. The place name 'Erwanwu' — literally 'twenty-five thousand' — is said to come from the roughly twenty-five thousand catties of sugarcane that one jiǎ of farmland could yield in those days.

    莊文生、林冠旻/宜蘭縣政府文化局CC BY 3.0 TW
  3. Within Sanxing Park, Yixing Road, Sanxing Township, Yilan County

    Sanxing1921–1979

    Once the busiest station in Sanxing Township, where people from the nearby villages would take the train in to buy their daily goods. The building has been demolished; its site is now Sanxing Park and a seniors' activity centre, keeping a few lengths of track as a memento, while the original alignment has been widened into Yi-44 Road.

    莊文生、鄭文嵐、謝淑娟/宜蘭縣政府文化局CC BY 3.0 TW
  4. Between No. 27 and No. 41, Heng Lane, Tianfu Village, Sanxing Township, Yilan County

    Tiansongpi1921–1979

    The best-preserved station on the whole line: the track bed, the track-gang house, the water tower where steam engines took on water, and the locomotive turntable all remain, and together with the surrounding village buildings they make Tiansongpi a place rich in both history and everyday life.

    lienyuan leeCC BY 3.0

Section Three · Tiansongpi–Tuchang

1921 · Taiwan Electric Industries

In 1921, the Taiwan Electric Industries Company funded this section of railway to develop hydroelectric power.

  1. Beside the Qingshuihu bus stop, Taiya 1st Road (Provincial Highway 7C), Yuanshan Village, Sanxing Township, Yilan County

    Qingshui1921–1979

    Later renamed 'Qingshuihu' Station; its residents were mostly power-plant workers and Taipingshan loggers. When the logging ended and the plant was automated, people moved away in great numbers and the station fell into disuse. The nearby Yuanshan unit of the Lanyang Power Plant is a run-of-river station drawing on the Lanyang River, now operated by remote control from the Tianpi control room.

    莊文生、鄭文嵐、謝淑娟/宜蘭縣政府文化局CC BY 3.0 TW
  2. In front of the old camphor tree, Niudou Lane off Taiya 1st Road, Yuanshan Village, Sanxing Township, Yilan County

    Niudou1921–1979

    Set in the narrow gap where the Xueshan and Central mountain ranges meet, the slopes on either side lock together like two bulls' horns — hence the name 'Niudou,' bulls locking horns. A mountain-entry checkpoint once stood here, and because the trains lingered a while, peddlers with bamboo baskets would gather to hawk their wares.

  3. No. 230, Leshui Road, Leshui Village, Datong Township, Yilan County — before the Leshui Bridge on township road Yi-51

    Zhuoshui (Leshui)1921–1979

    In Datong Township, originally Zhuoshui Village, renamed 'Leshui' after the war (and for a time called 'Malun'). Its convenient location once made it the most prosperous community here, with a Shinto shrine, a clinic, and a school, and loggers gathered from all over, giving it a remarkably mixed population. After the forest railway closed and the administrative centre moved away, it declined into what people call 'the forgotten village' — a settlement once divided into three parts: Chinau, Varloon (Malun), and Dorei.

  4. Near No. 17, Tuchang Lane, Tuchang Village, Datong Township, Yilan County

    Tuchang1921–1979

    'Tuchang' means a place where timber gathers — in the forestry vocabulary of the Japanese colonial era, any point where logs were collected and unloaded was a tuchang, and this one is the very start of the forest railway's lowland line. It was the transfer point between the mountain line and the lowland line, and the terminus at the far end of the Luodong Forest Railway: the hinoki cypress floated down from Taipingshan changed here onto the forest railway and set off, hugging mountain and river, toward Zhulin. On the site today stand a rebuilt Tuchang Station and a forest-railway history exhibit, right beside the entrance to the Taipingshan National Forest Recreation Area.

    勝山吉作Public Domain

3D ModelsInteractive 3D Models

Three landmarks from the story, rebuilt as 3D models you can spin with your own hands.

Forest Railway Train

Steam locomotive No. 15 at Zhulin Station, wooden carriages coupled behind.

Route Map of the Line

'Route Map of the Luodong Forest Railway Stations' — the ten stations along the line, the recommended present-day route, the old railway alignment, and nearby services at a glance. Tap the image for full resolution.

Route map of the Luodong Forest Railway stations (issued by the Yilan Branch of the Forestry and Nature Conservation Agency)
Yilan Branch, Forestry and Nature Conservation AgencyOfficial travel mapView at full resolutionOriginal vector PDF

Station-to-Station Distances

A suggested route, stopping at each station along the old line.

區間距離沿線道路
ZhulinWaiziwai3.04 kmRen'ai Road
WaiziwaiDazhou3.9 kmCounty Route 196
DazhouErwanwu4.3 km
ErwanwuSanxing4.5 kmCounty Route 196, Yi-44
SanxingTiansongpi3.5 kmProvincial Highway 7C
TiansongpiQingshui7.6 km
QingshuiNiudou3.2 kmProvincial Highway 7C
NiudouZhuoshui11 kmYi-51
ZhuoshuiTuchang7.26 km

The whole route takes about an hour by car, or about 3–4 hours by bicycle.

Two Bikeways

An'nong River Bikeway

17K

Running along the banks of the An'nong River, it pairs well with the old railway line, with pleasant farmland and bald-cypress scenery on either side.

Niudou Bikeway

21K

Following the Lanyang River upstream toward Niudou, it runs parallel to the old line, stringing together the valleys and river views along the way.

Sights Near the Line

History & Industrial Culture

Luodong Forestry Culture ParkZhongxing Paper MillErjie Sugar FactoryZhongxing Cultural and Creative ParkYutu Pencil SchoolChen Ding-nan Memorial ParkSanxing Scallion Culture HallSanxing Traditional MarketTiansongpi Heritage RoomLanyang Power Plant – Tianpi UnitHappiness PlatformFushan Temple

Nature & Recreation

Luodong Sports ParkErjie CanalWanchangchun Canal · Wujie Main LineFenhongyan Scenic AreaDayi Artesian SpringAn'nong River RaftingSanxing Bald Cypress GroveSanxing ParkSanxing Flower FieldsSanxing Sports ComplexChangpi Lake CampgroundQuantoumu TrailNiudou NurseryThe Weir

Schools Along the Line (Witnesses of the Old Settlements)

Zhulin Elementary SchoolRen'ai LibraryLuodong Township KindergartenDazhou Elementary SchoolWanfu Elementary SchoolSanxing Junior High SchoolSanxing Elementary SchoolXianming Elementary SchoolQingshui Small SchoolDatong Elementary School, Leshui Branch

Notes

  • The 'years' given for each station follow the original map (mostly the years each section was built or in service, which may differ from when each station officially began carrying passengers): Zhulin, Dazhou, and Erwanwu are 1924–1979; Waiziwai is 1921–1945; the rest are 1921–1979.
  • The original map also marks a 'present-day route (recommended route)' and the 'old railway line (now removed),' and notes services along the way — restrooms, parking, and hot springs (such as around Jiuzhize) — so you can read it alongside this guide on the ground.

Sources

Compiled and adapted from the travel map 'Route Map of the Luodong Forest Railway Stations' (issued by the Yilan Branch of the Forestry and Nature Conservation Agency), with reference to the Wikipedia entries for the 'Luodong Forest Railway' and its individual stations, railway-history blogs, and other public sources. Opening hours, road conditions, and ticketing are subject to the official announcements of the Yilan Branch of the Forestry and Nature Conservation Agency.

Follow the Incense Road, Onward Up the Mountain

Tuchang, the end of this lowland line, is exactly where the Welcoming of Mazu at Taipingshan begins its climb into the mountains.